MISLEADING FOOD LABELS | NO1 FITNESS

MISLEADING FOOD LABELS | NO1 FITNESS

It is said that nearly 60% of people have difficulty understanding nutrition labels. Are you one of them? A common misconception is that rice contains gluten. In reality rice is gluten free; but some companies have gone as far as labelling their product as gluten free when in fact the product contained no gluten to begin with!

The 21st century has seen the rise of the ‘Natural’ diet. Many people don’t know that the word natural does not mean organic, and it certainly does not mean the food contains less saturated fat or is healthy for you. For example, look on the back of a ‘natural’ protein bar and see if you can find any ingredients containing the letters ‘lose‘ these are types of added sugar.

We also need to watch out for the word ‘Organic’ itself. If the label says ‘100% Organic’ then the product is 100% Organic. If the label just states the word ‘Organic’ then the food can be as little as 95% organic. With the other 5% being preservatives or emulsifiers.

Supplement labels can give you a headache just by looking at them; with ingredients only a biochemist would understand. Because of this many supplement producers have been called out for misleading labels. So as a precaution make sure you keep a look out for reviews online as a way to determine the authenticity of a product, remember cheaper isn’t always better.